Archif Archive Archief
The Talking Tapestry of Langum
The Chronicle of the Kings of England was written by William of Malmesbury around 1125 and it chronicles a year on year account of the deeds of the Kings of England between 449AD and 1125AD. Click here to see the pages from a 15th century copy relating to the Flemish settlement of Pembrokeshire along with a translation of the relevant passage.
The Brut as it is affectionately known tells the story of the Welsh princes. This narrative begins in 682 and ends in 1332. The Brut wasn’t written by one man, but was a compilation of a number of writings by different monks across Wales. It is believed that Caradoc of Llancarfan produced the final compilation. Click here to see the original publication and its version of the events surrounding the Flemish settlement of Pembrokeshire.
3. The Pipe Roll (Pembroke) 1130
After the Doomsday Book, the 1130 Pipe Roll is the second most valuable document held at the National Archives and it introduces us to Godebert the Fleming and where he is granted the Lordship over four parishes. Although not named in this document, those parishes were Nolton, Treffgarne, Roch and Newgale. Click here to view the relevant part of the original document and a translation.
In 1376, Lady Margaret de la Roche, heiress to the de la Roche lands in Pembrokeshire, married Sir Roger de Clarendon. He was the illegitimate son of Edward the Black Prince and half-brother to Richard 11. In his will, he left a silk bed to Sir Roger. Click here to see the extract of the will and a translation of the passage concerning the legacy to Sir Roger.
Around 1300, Sir Thomas de la Roche and his steward were captured by Sir John Wogan of Picton Castle and incarcerated in the castle’s dungeon because of a financial debt. Sir Thomas appealed to King Edward to order Sir John to obtain his release. Click here to see the original petition and the king’s ruling along with translations of those passages.
In 1865 the Rev. William Calladine, the Methodist Minister in Llangwm, wrote an article about the village, its people and their link to the original Flemish settlers of 1105. Click here to read the article.
Click the link above to watch a full English version of the full story behind the App. Please note that a subtitled version will become available shortly.